Baked Orange Cauliflower Bites
- 1 small head of cauliflower, washed & cut into florets
- cilantro stems for garnish
- oil for cooking
- handful of scallions or cilantro
- batter: adjust the amount depending on the size of your cauliflower
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour [~94g]
- 3/4 cup cold water [~175ml]
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few shakes of white pepper
- juice of 2 oranges (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari [22ml]
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or 1 tablespoon sugar (adjust depending on the sweetness of your orange)
- cornstarch slurry (mix 1 tablespoon corn starch in 2 tablespoons water)
How to steps
Pat cauliflower florets dry with a paper towel or let them air dry in a colander.
Whisk together batter ingredients in a bowl until well combined. The batter should be thick enough to coat the florets
Preheat oven to 450°F [230°C]. Dredge cauliflower florets in the batter, shake off excess & place them on a lined baking sheet.
Brush or spray each floret with oil & bake until golden brown for about 20 mins, flipping halfway. (You can also turn the broiler to low & broil for about 3 mins to get the roasted look at the top)
Place the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, turn on the heat & bring it to a low simmer. Stir & cook until sauce is slightly thickened.
Quickly toss florets with the sauce & serve immediately with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or scallions