Carne Con Nabo Sueco (Beef with Rutabaga)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or other cooking fat
- 2 pounds stew beef, cut in 2" chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 large carrots, chopped, or 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 rutabagas, peeled and chopped or 2 cups of cauliflower, instead.
Heat olive oil or other cooking fat over medium-high heat until it sizzles when a drop of water is added.
Season the beef with salt and pepper, and then cook in the oil, turning as it browns.
Add the peppers and onions, and cook until soft.
Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
Cook until carrots and rutabagas are soft (about 45 minutes).
Remove lid and add salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid has reduced a bit.
Serve and enjoy! This goes great over riced cauliflower, or on its own.