Spicy Garlic Eggplant Stir Fry
- 2 medium-size eggplants (about 0.75lb)
- 3oz firm tofu (optional)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 slices ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 dried chilis or 1/2 jalapeno or any chilis (chili flakes are good sub too)
- oil for cooking, chopped scallions
- cornstarch slurry (mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 3 teaspoons water)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (black or distilled)
- 1 1/2 cup water
If using dried chilis, softened it by boiling them in hot water for 5 mins, then remove seeds. Mix all sauce ingredients until well combined & set aside.
In a heated non-stick with 2 tablespoons oil, sauté ginger & garlic until fragrant. Then add in chopped chili & cook for 1 min by stirring continuously. (To use less oil in stir frying, you can steam the eggplant first before the next step)
Add in eggplant along with with the sauce & give it a quick toss. Cover with a lid & turn heat to medium. Cook for 2-3 mins (be sure it has enough water to simmer the eggplant). Season with more salt, if needed. Add tofu crumbles, stir in the cornstarch slurry, cook for 30secs to thicken the sauce & turn off the heat.
Garnish with chopped scallions & serve immediately.